Erection is a state in which a man is sexually aroused. Physiologically, this process increases the length and volume of the penis. The member gains firmness and hardness, which is necessary for sexual intercourse.
Erectile dysfunction is considered a fairly common pathology. Its essence is the inability to achieve and maintain an erection during sexual contact. After the age of 40, half of men begin to grapple with this phenomenon. In the treatment of pathology, special potency pills are used to increase libido.
What is an erection?
The male genital organ consists of oblong bodies filled with erectile tissue, around which there are many vessels. During the erection process, the corpus cavernosum becomes elastic and firm, enabling a man to have sexual intercourse. The spongy body is located around the urethra, gradually moving to the head of the penis. Like the corpus cavernosum, the spongy body and head of the penis have sufficient hardness.
Erectile tissues have the ability to fill with blood when sexually aroused. This is the erectile state: blood is pooled in the bodies, both spongy and cavernous. In the first stage of arousal, the urethra is elongated. Then comes the time of enlargement, during which the cavernous and spongy bodies become wider and gradually fill with blood. The third and final stage of an erection is hardness building. The penis enlarges, becomes firm and elastic, thanks to which it rises (an erection occurs).
Blood-filled erectile tissue compresses veins that are narrowed but not completely blocked. In order to maintain a stable erection at a high level, the blood pressure entering the penis should not be decreased. When the amount of blood is equalized, the size and elasticity of the penis remain unchanged, and the erection continues. The rapid growth of the penis at the time of stimulation leads to ejaculation and a closely related erection. As a rule, orgasm comes last. In rare cases, this happens while you sleep.
The main stimulus to supply blood to the penis is nitric oxide produced by endothelial cells. This regulatory substance triggers a chain reaction, leading to relaxation of smooth muscles and dilation of blood vessels. Therefore, most drugs needed to restore an erection either increase the action of nitric oxide or stimulate the release of it chemical compound.
Impotence – what are erectile dysfunction?
Incomplete erection is one of the disorders in the reproductive system. In this condition, there is poor flexibility of the penis, its softness and insufficient growth. What is considered erectile dysfunction? This is a condition where it is impossible to get or maintain an erection sufficient for sexual activity. There is sexual arousal and a penetration is impossible or difficult. Penis laxity, unstable erection is observed in both young people and mature men. Every man with the appearance of the first signs of sexual dysfunction should consider this as a guideline for action, namely contacting a doctor and taking appropriate medications.
Perhaps many men faced problems in their intimate life. In most cases, these are various manifestations of erectile dysfunction, and often impotence, the latter being the inability of the penis to increase in length and volume. He is unable to get an erection or the hardness necessary for normal sexual contact. Erection does not occur, despite all the measures taken: feeling, masturbation, romantic atmosphere, etc. There are rare cases when impotence occurs as an independent ailment, the disease accompanies other problems.
The causes of erectile dysfunction lead to impotence
Sexual arousal and the occurrence of an erection is a complex process in which the brain, endocrine glands, nerves, muscles and blood vessels are responsible. Disorders of any of these organs can lead to erectile dysfunction. In some cases, it becomes a consequence of mental disorders. As a rule, the physiological causes of erectile dysfunction include health problems. To date, many diseases are known that somehow affect male sexual dysfunction:
- Disturbances in the functioning of the prostate gland
- Spine injuries
- Inflammation or damage to the nerves
- Heart disease
- Impaired blood flow, atherosclerosis
- Neurological disorders (Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis and others)
- Sex hormone imbalance
- Peyronie’s disease (formation of a rough scar after a penile injury)
- Surgical interventions, trauma and exposure to radiation (including radiotherapy) in the genital area or spinal cord.
- Taking certain medications.
The quality of an erection is also influenced by an unhealthy diet, excessive consumption of alcohol and drugs. In the presence of all the above complaints, it is recommended to visit a urologist and sexologist, as well as strictly follow the recommendations presented.
The psychological reasons are:
- Relationship problems.
As a rule, erectile dysfunction against the background of cardiovascular, hormonal and neurological diseases develops gradually and is mainly observed in the elderly, and mental disorders play a leading role in young men and are felt immediately. In some cases, the cause of erectile dysfunction cannot be determined exactly.
Symptoms of erectile dysfunction
One of the symptoms of erectile dysfunction is premature ejaculation due to uncontrolled premature release of seminal fluid before or during sexual intercourse. In most cases, such a disorder is associated with the development of vascular disease. A sign of erectile dysfunction is also a decrease in erectile frequency and a decrease in penis stiffness, which is more often associated with neurogenic, vascular or hormonal pathology, and much less with psychogenic disorders. The most serious symptom of erectile dysfunction is a complete lack of erection.
Disturbing symptoms of erectile dysfunction:
- Reluctance to be physically close, decreased desire
- Weak erection or decreased erection during sexual intercourse
- Poor or delayed erection with active stimulation of the genitals.
- Failure to ejaculate
- Inability to reach orgasm.
Maintaining these symptoms for a short time is not dangerous. Often this phenomenon occurs as a result of overwork, stress, abuse of caffeine, alcohol. Additional symptoms indicating the primary cause of erectile dysfunction are most often related to the work of the genitourinary system.
- Lack of sexual arousal (libido disorder – see how to increase libido )
- Pain in the perineum, penis or pubic area
- Discomfort when urinating or ejaculating
- Dizziness, persistent weakness
- Premature ejaculation
- Difficulty passing urine
- The occurrence of phobias, panic attacks
- Everyday anxiety, discomfort in dealing with women.
It is important for a specialist to immediately rule out the psychosomatic nature of the symptoms and detect a specific disease that affects the functioning of the penis. During the examination, many men have a normal blood supply to the penis, even in the presence of chronic diseases of the genitourinary sphere, so not all symptoms can be taken into account.
How can we help and treat erection problems?
In some cases, a poor erection is a reason to contact a specialist. But if the problems are psychological, then you can deal with them yourself. After all, stress is the main factor in the lack of sexual intercourse. The therapy consists in improving the mood, creating a pleasant atmosphere at home and at work, supporting a man by a woman in difficult life situations.
In addition, to improve erection, the following measures will be useful:
- Exercise and strength training. For a normal erection, a man needs physical activity. Simple exercises at home or in the gym will prevent blood from stagnating in your organs.
- Morning intimacy. Many doctors strongly recommend incorporating this event into your daily routine. In the morning, the body actively produces hormones, so men do not have to think about improving their erection, you can just enjoy the process.
- Stimulation of points on the feet. Many Chinese medicine experts are convinced that there are points responsible for male potency on the feet. And if it is not possible to visit a masseur, you can just go barefoot more.
- Alternating shower. The benefits of it have been known for a long time, it trains the vessels and improves blood circulation. In order to improve erection, you should regularly perform such water treatments, alternating the penis area with warm and cool water.
- Regular intimacy. Perhaps the most pleasant and desired remedy that will bring not only pleasure, but also many benefits. The body reflexively responds to stimuli, remembering the state of excitement and orgasm.
- Means that increase the blood supply to the corpus cavernosum, pills for potency containing sildenafil and its analogues. As a rule, such pills improve the blood supply to the genitals, increase pressure and allow an erection.
Help in erectile dysfunction includes treatment of diseases that can lead to erectile dysfunction, psychological counseling, and lifestyle correction. Folk remedies for erectile dysfunction include decoctions and infusions of ginseng, lemongrass, thyme, hawthorn flowers, ginkgo and yohimbe extracts, as well as some other herbal remedies. Some herbs improve blood circulation and strengthen the cardiovascular system, others contain high doses of zinc, essential for men’s health. However, it is a supportive treatment and you should be aware of it.